×
EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPortugueseRussianSpanish

Discover 5 Star Luxury ... Coedllys Country House B&B, Cottage and Animal Sanctuary
Located in beautiful countryside near St Clears, Carmarthenshire. The Garden of Wales.

5 Star

Coedllys Country House, St. Clears, Carmarthenshire

Coedllys is located near St Clears.

 

St Clears  is a community and small town on the River Tâf in Carmarthenshire, Wales. According to the 2001 UK census, it has a population of 2,820 people, most of whom are Welsh-speaking, although there is a marked difference between the southern and northern ends of the town in percentage terms[clarification needed]. The population had increased to 2,995 at the 2011 census.

The community is bordered by the communities of: Meidrim; Newchurch and Merthyr; Llangynog; Laugharne Township; Llanddowror; Eglwyscummin; Llanboidy; and Llangynin, all being in Carmarthenshire.

Priory Church of St Mary Magdalene
The Priory Church of St Mary Magdalene (Church in Wales) was founded in around 1100 as a Cluniac priory of St Martin-des-Champs, Paris. It is considered to have the best surviving Norman stonecarving in Carmarthenshire. The church was restored in 1853–5 and in 1883–4. The stained-glass windows date from about 1929. It is a grade II* listed building.

The Norman St Clears Castle was constructed in the 12th century. The castle mound can still be seen. The town, which was a Marcher Borough, grew around it. Below the castle there was a port on the river Tâf, which could take ships of up to 500 tons according to a plaque at the site. The castle held out against Owain Glyndŵr.

Nearby Trefenty House became the home of a branch of the Perrot family in the 16th century, and it was here that the amateur astronomer Sir William Lower and a neighbour, John Protheroe, set up one of Britain's first telescopes in 1609, which they used to study the craters of the Moon and Halley's Comet.

In 1842, one of the local toll gates was destroyed in the Rebecca Riots.

The building of the South Wales Railway in the 1850s was responsible for the decline of many of the small ports along the Bristol Channel coast, and St Clears was no exception. The railway passed about two miles north of the castle, and new building at the north end of the High Street spread eastwards along Pentre Road, and then northwards again to the station. Pentre Road is now the main commercial centre of the town, and was formerly part of the A40 road until construction of the dual carriageway bypass.

The town's cattle market was important until its closure, but the town still has a large agricultural cooperative store. The town has also hosted an oil distribution centre and milk processing plant. Now smaller industrial units provide the main local employment.

The photographer and film-maker Stanley Phillips lived in St Clears and documented life in the town and the surrounding area (active 1910–1961). His work appeared in the News Chronicle and the Daily and Sunday Mirrors, and in local newspapers. His films include The Last March of Mr. Jonah Rees at St. Clears (1930), which is in the collection of the National Library of Wales.[7] He worked closely with Colonel William Buckley (whose work is also in the National Library of Wales) and E.V. Williams, both keen film makers. The permanent exhibition of Phillips' photographs and film at the Mezzanine Gallery in St. Clears[8] includes photographs of the aviator Amy Johnson, World War I flying ace Wing Commander Ira Jones, and racing drivers Sir Malcolm Campbell and J. G. Parry-Thomas, who both attempted world land speed records at nearby Pendine Sands.

Railways
The original railway was constructed by the South Wales Railway. Trains travel on the West Wales Line through St Clears, but have not stopped at the town since the 1960s.

A local campaign group is attempting to persuade the Welsh Government and Network Rail to reopen St Clears railway station.

 

Level crossing, the former St Clears station was on the right.
Amenities
The town has a large bilingual primary school, Ysgol Griffith Jones.

There are a variety of local shops including two prize-winning traditional butchers and two craft centres. There are several pubs.

The surrounding countryside is mainly rolling grassland consisting of moderate sized fields with well kept hedges. The main agricultural enterprise is dairying, but sheep and beef are very important as well. The soils are deep and productive and will grow good crops of potatoes and cereals, and the climate allows fruit growing as well. Although most of the land is farmed commercially the area is a haven for wildlife.

The highlight of the farming year is the St Clears YFC annual show which is held in May.

Reproduced from Wikipedia.

Book through our
website for our best
rates.
coedllys-country-house-book-now-icon

TOP